The Horsenden Loaf and Friends of Horsenden Hill are looking for
Background to the role: The shop at Horsenden Farm is the business outlet for the Horsenden Loaf, and it also acts as an outlet for other groups on site to
- raise funds for their projects,
- make contact with local people and visitors,
- inform them about what goes on at Horsenden, and
- encourage others to volunteer at Horsenden
The Horsenden Loaf employs some staff to prepare the baked goods and make coffee, and the Friends of Horsenden Hill provide volunteers who sell the goods. The volunteer shop workers also sell things made or sourced by the Friends of Horsenden Hill and other projects on site, and act as ambassadors for the site and all the projects based there.
Purpose of Role: To help with the day to day running of the Horsenden Loaf shop at Horsenden farm, and act as an ambassador for the Friends of Horsenden Hill and other voluntary groups which are active on the site.
Benefits of the role: Volunteers will: gain retail experience; have an opportunity to get involved in the farm community; get to know other volunteers; gain communication skills and experience as an advocate for the site
Reporting to: Antony Barrett of the Horsenden Loaf, with additional support from Friends volunteers
Location: At Horsenden Farm, Horsenden Lane North, Greenford, UB6 7PQ. (Currently the shop is outside under gazebos, and a wooden shop is being constructed).
Hours: Volunteers are asked to join a rota working about once a month unless they want to work more frequently.
The shop is currently open on Saturday and Sunday 11am – 2.00pm, and this might be extended in future.
Volunteers help set up and pack up the shop, giving a total volunteer session running from 10.15am to 2.30pm.
Shorter sessions would be considered if we have volunteers to share sessions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To work with staff and other volunteers to set up the shop, and pack the shop away
- To serve customers, record purchases and take payment by cash and card reader
- To help keep the goods in a hygienic condition and the shop and equipment clean
- To assist with shop displays and signs
- To provide information and signpost any enquiries for Friends of Horsenden Hill activities, events and volunteering
- To comply with relevant Horsenden Loaf and Friends of Horsenden Hill policies and procedures
- To represent the professional standards of the Horsenden Loaf and Friends of Horsenden Hill as advised by Antony and your support volunteer
- An interest and commitment to the shop, and an enthusiasm for the projects at Horsenden
- The ability to work as part of a team
- A flexible approach
- Able to provide a friendly, high quality service to customers
- A sense of humour
- An understanding of the need for discretion and care in interactions with the pubic
- Good timekeeping
- Reliability and trustworthiness
- A willingness to undertake training required for role
- Health & Safety, and Hygiene (online courses)
- Fire Safety (if appropriate)
- Horsenden Loaf will repay any agreed expenses (bus fares, etc) on production of receipts paid out in the course of journeys, so that you are not out of pocket, if you need this support.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THIS VOLUNTEERING ROLE PLEASE EMAIL CONTACT@FRIENDSOFHORSENDENHILL.ORG.UK and we will get in touch with you
The Horsenden Loaf and Friends of Horsenden Hill appreciate your volunteering role and will do their best to make your volunteer experience enjoyable and rewarding